Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

16 week appointment

I had my 16 week appointment today. There was a ton of confusion when I first arrived. My original appointment was scheduled for yesterday afternoon. My midwife called in sick, so they asked me to reschedule my appointment. No big deal, except they wanted to reschedule me for July 29, 2010. Umm.. NO!! That's too far out, besides, I decided to go ahead and do the Quad Screen testing (the results don't matter, I just want to be prepared either way) and I needed it done before 18 weeks, so the timing wouldn't work out.

I called back, nearly in tears asking if there was any way that I could be seen sooner. They agreed to have me come in today at 10:45AM, but I had to go to another location. No problem. I arrived this morning, checked in, got weighed (I lost almost two pounds since my last appointment) got my blood pressure checked and then the nurse asked me, "So, what brings you in today?" I told her that I was in for my 16 week appointment and to complete the second portion of the Quad Screen test. She looked surprised, and called out to the woman at the front. Neither of them had any of my information. Then the woman at the front desk says, "Oh, she's here to get pregnancy confirmation." I told them that I did not need to confirm my pregnancy, I'm already 4 months pregnant and have had several ultrasounds, etc. They still didn't get it. I was put in a room and sat there for nearly 20 minutes. Finally my midwife comes in, I tell her about the confusion and she apologizes, whips out the doppler and checks Bunny's heart beat. It was 159 bpm. We go over all the questions that I had and talked about my delivery options. She really put my mind at ease.

Overall, they said that I'm really healthy, the baby looks good, but they are going to closely monitor me because a note on my last ultrasound said that my placenta was "possibly" low lying. I'm not really freaked out about that because I remember the ultrasound tech clearly stated that it was too early for them to determine whether or not my placenta was low because I was still so early in pregnancy.

I was measuring 11w6d at my last ultrasound, so technically I'm 16w6d, but my doctor didn't change anything in the system.

3 comments:

Theodora Ofosuhima said...

I am so happy they said your healthy, and the baby is doing well. Well done to both of you mama and baby :)!

Have a great Friday!

Jessica said...

Glad everything went well!! Very happy for you!

Ms. Understood said...

Hey Ms. V. I hope the placenta issue works itself out. Sorry to hear it was such a hassle to get your appointment worked out. LOL @ her thinking you were trying to confirm you pregnancy well into your 5th month of being pregnant.