Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Love at first listen

My doppler arrived in the mail yesterday. I was tempted to use it as soon as I got home from work, but I had promised my husband that we would go to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. I've been so tired lately that I've been coming home and going straight to our room, where I'd just lounge and watch TV before falling asleep at around 7PM. My husband has really been wanting to spend time together, so I wanted to keep my word.

Once we got home, I ran straight to our bedroom with my new doppler and a bottle of ultrasound gel in hand. I squirted the gel, turned the doppler on and placed the probe on my belly near my bikini line. Nothing.... Absolute silence. I thought that was weird so I grabbed the directions. I read the whole thing, with goo all over my belly, feeling frustrated. Finally, I looked down at the cord and noticed that the probe connector wasn't fully inserted into the slot where it connects to the monitor. The speakers must have been on full blast because it sounded like I had just turned on a really loud record player, you know that muffled static sound?

I placed the probe on my belly again, near my bikini line, and heard the most beautiful sound right away. The "woosh, woosh, woosh" of my baby's heart beat. The monitor that I bought displays a heart whenever it detects a sound that is regular enough to be a heart beat, the rate was around 160 beats per minute. My husband came in the room with a huge smile on his face. Being the "realist" that is he, he asked me how I knew for sure that it was the baby's heart beat and not my own. I explained to him that the baby's heart beats much faster than ours, and placed the probe over my heart. It sounded much different than what we had just heard. Still unconvinced, he had me place the probe over his heart. It sounded just like mine. I found the baby's heart beat again, and my husband said, "Wow, it does sound totally different!!". He was super excited after that. I listened again this morning, and I am completely in love with my new purchase. Sometimes it's so hard to believe that there is actually a human in my tummy. I can't wait to feel kicks and movement. The doppler helps put me at ease, and it's so easy to use. I just love it!

Thank you all for the kind comments on my previous post. I've started to write things down in my pregnancy journal about my mom that I want to share with the baby. Thinking about all the great memories made me feel a little better. It's still a struggle, but I'm working through it.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

1 comment:

Mrs. Green said...

Awwwww! This is awesome & so cute! I think the doppler will be so useful for you guys!!

I am happy for u and hubby!