After dealing with the emotions of watching my body change and my belly grow, I've come to the realization that I'm okay with my pregnant body.
Sure, things are bigger than they were before. Sure, I miss wearing some of my old clothes, and heels. But my body is doing something amazing right now. I'm creating a human being. There is a small person in my belly, a tiny human being that I absolutely adore. I wish people would take their focus off of me, and think about this beautiful gift that will soon be born.
Just a few minutes ago, one of my coworkers came up to me asking me when my last day is. First, I wondered why it's her business. We work in different departments, and she's a temp. Who has been here for 3 weeks. I told her the same thing I tell everyone, that I plan on working until the end, unless my body tells me not too. She looked at me like I was crazy and asked me why. Again, I'm wondering why it's her business, but I didn't want to see mean or "hormonal" so I explained to her that I feel great, my aches and pains are minimal, no swelling, I can still sleep well at night, etc. There isn't a reason for me to think about leaving work right now. And then she tells me that my pregnancy is only going this well because it's my first, and that I will be huge at the end with a puffy face. I almost punched her.
Seriously, the lady was about to get decked.
Why on earth is it okay to tell me how fat I'm going to get? Or to tell me how the remainder of my pregnancy is going to go? Everyone swore up and down that I'd blow up before I turned 6 months. Well, I'll be 7 months next week... And not much has changed. Grrrr..... It really gets under my skin. I've started dodging questions and changing the subject with people. It is SO irritating.
Being pregnant is already such an emotional time. Add on to it the fact that your body is changing and you can't do the things that you could in a non-pregnant state, and it can leave you with some body image issues. Whether you've gained or not. I don't understand why people don't take that into consideration before opening their mouth to make a comment.
Either I'm too small, or I'm going to get HUGE. Those are the only comments I seem to be getting. Oh wait, no, someone asked me if I'm starving myself. Yeah, that made me feel great. Like I'm so concerned about my image that I'd deprive my helpless child of the nutrients that she needs to grow. Never mind the BAG of bagels that I have sitting on my desk, or the orange I was eating.
Sorry about the rant... I know I've talked about this time and time again. But it still bothers me...
4 comments:
I totally understand the work thing. I am honestly really jealous of the people who get to stay home during the whole pregnancy (unless there are complications of course) because I AM tired but why shouldn't we be working?! Everyone mentions on my facebook how they can't believe I'm still working 40 hours(and lately more) a week but what else are you supposed to do!? Literally, sit at home, watch tv and eat?! There's no way.
As for the temp- I "huffed" at her comment! I swear!
People don't think before they speak which is what causes issues. I plan to work as long as I can - I don't get paid for maternity leave so any time I take off is money of out of our pockets.
I'm sure you look fantastic and if you didn't - your doctor would say something. That is usually how I brush people off when they suggest something - "Thanks for your concern but my doctor and I have our own plan and I'm following his directions."
I feel your pain. I've written my own post about this very topic. For some reason, people, most of whom don't mean any harm, feel they have the right to give advice to & ask questions of pregnant women. It's like your growing belly totally eliminates your right to privacy and renders you ignorant. Anyway, I developed two standard answers. "Really?"
& "Oh, you think so."
Like for the temp, "Really, you got fat & puffy?"
I know it's easier said than done, but in the end, the only opinions that matter are yours, your hubby, and the doctor's.
Hang in there!
L, you said what I was going to say. Hmmm, wonder if that's because I gave you similar advice, lol!
Hopefully you'll be able to take people's comments with a grain of salt and learn to trust your instinct. Especially when the "I know better than you" comments start after the baby is born.
Post a Comment