We co-sleep. It didn't start out intentionally, I was too paranoid when we first brought Yorlee home from the hospital to put her down. I would sleep sitting up, and hold her in my arms with the Boppy pillow supporting us. It was the ONLY way I could sleep, I had to be able to see her chest rise and fall, and feel her skin. It also helped my milk production because she was constantly nursing so my body was able to notice that I needed to produce more milk.
As time went on, it was just more convenient. I can sleep and nurse her at the same time, she can feel secure, I can check on her without budging, etc.
But now, I'm ready to have my bed back.
My quality of sleep is poor. The slightest movement from her, and I'm up. And the slightest movement from me, she's up. Neither of us are getting a good nights rest. I was able to sneak out of bed yesterday without her waking and she slept like a rock. However, she started SCREAMING when she realized that her usual endless supply of milk was no where to be found. I saw her rooting in her sleep, and instead of picking her up I watched to see what she would do. She whimpered, turned her head from side to side, opened her mouth, and kept sticking her tongue out. All attempts to get milk. Usually when I'm laying next to her all she has to do is whimper and I start nursing her. Finally, she opened her eyes and noticed I wasn't there and she hollered.
I'm going to start sleep training her this weekend, but I know that the hardest part will be teaching her to adjust to not having a nightly buffet. Honestly, I don't feel as though she eats at night out of hunger, I think she knows that I'm there and that milk is available so she uses it as a method to soothe.
Hopefully we are able to figure things out so that I can start stretching out in my bed once again.
2 comments:
I know the feeling although we haven't even made it to the bed! If I'm in bed I have to stay awake while nursing (my boobs are too big and cover his nose no matter how I position him) but if we stay in the recliner then I'm able to latch him on before he even wakes and I quickly fall back to sleep as well. I am just not sure if he's eating for hunger or comfort but I'm PRETTY sure it's for comfort.
Our doctor recommended the Ferber method but I need to get the book and also am going to read the No Cry Sleep Solution and then decide what we're going to do.
I wish you success. I soooo remember what it was like to transition Ariana out of our bed (when she ended up there only for convenience.)
Does Yorlee take her naps in her crib? If not, try starting with that. And maybe you could try putting your scent on her sheets. It sounds crazy, but your smell might offer her some comfort.
We are still working on getting Ariana to sleep longer than a 4-hour stretch and she's 7-months. If you can get Yorlee trained now, you'll all be happier.
Post a Comment