Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Hunger vs. Nausea

The nausea kicked in with full force at around 6 weeks. Before then, I was just feeling nauseous every now and then, but now I feel nauseous every day. It may sound odd, but it's actually kind of reassuring to me.

There has been an ongoing battle between my nausea and appetite. The thought of food makes me feel sick, yet not eating makes me feel even worse. Yesterday my husband and I stopped by Pizza Hut for a carryout. I had been feeling extremely hungry after work (I'd only managed to eat a few french fries during the day), and I knew that I should eat soon. We pulled up to Pizza Hut and my husband went inside to pick up our order. While he was in there, I felt extremely shaky and lightheaded. When he came out, he took one look at me and told me we were going to sit and eat a slice before we drove home. As soon as he opened the box, I thought I was going to hurl. I had to take deep measured breaths, and really concentrate in order to keep whatever was in my stomach, IN MY STOMACH. Finally, I picked up a slice and took a teeny tiny bite. I felt HORRIBLE! I just kept eating, hoping that it would help the nausea go away, and finally I felt some relief. Good grief, that was by far one of the toughest points yet. I thought I was going to pass out and throw up at the same time.

I've been told that I should eat every two hours, but it's hard. When the thought of food makes you feel sick, it's difficult to actually eat. And the food that I normally like doesn't sound appetizing any more. My husband suggested that I try pickles. Anyone that knows me IRL, knows that I LOVE pickles, but I'm scared that I won't like them anymore. And if I throw up after I eat something, I no longer like it. I used to love grapefruit, but I ate it and it didn't stay down, now I can't even think about it.

But I'll take all this, and more, if it means that things are progressing well with this pregnancy.

No comments: