Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Big girl room

While we are getting settled into our new house, my husband and I decided that we would (attempt) to transition Yorlee directly from her crib to a toddler bed.  I ordered EVERYTHING we needed to fully decorate her room (cough*nesting*cough), because I just couldn't fathom the thought of my baby girl sleeping in a room with partial decor.

Most of the blogs I read have set up their childrens nurseries/rooms to look like swanky upscale hotel rooms.  Which looks SUPER lovely, and always get my creative wheels turning.  However, I knew that design wouldn't work for my baby girl.  Yorlee loves to be visually stimulated.  Whether it be by learning something, or seeing something that she is interested in.  She has really taken to the photographs of family that we have hung in our living room and loves to walk to the wall and point out everyone by name.  When first deciding on a theme for her nursery, I was going to do an upscale version of numbers, the alphabet, and animals.  But my husband wanted to save that for the kids playroom.  Back to square one, I felt defeated.  I really wanted her to have a cool "big girl room".  One trip to Walmart was all it took for me to gain inspiration.  We were in the children's section, looking for babyproofing supplies when we noticed a clearance rack with a large Dora doll that also served as a pillow.  I thought my poor child was going to jump out of the cart.  She yelled, "Dora! Dora Mommy!" until she had that doll in her hands.  She immediately gave Dora a hug and smiled so big I thought my heart was going to burst.

Needless to say, we bought the doll.  The next day, when scouring the internet, I came across pretty much every Dora item imaginable for children's rooms.  And, I bought them.  She will have a standard white toddler bed and dresser with Dora accessories.  And I know she is going to LOVE it.  Sure, we'll have to switch up the decor when she outgrows her cartoon icon, but isn't the part of the fun?

I'll be sure to post pictures once all of the items are delivered.  I can't wait to see the look on her face!

2 comments:

NohaEl. said...

awwwww that's so cute :-) i can't wait till i see pics, pls take a video of the moment she sees her room and all the Dora stuff, I'm sure it'll be priceless . Loui doesn't show much interest in any character yet, maybe a bit Elmo but that's all, I would like to hear him say Mama, baba or Elmo lol We are going to buy him a toddler bed now as well so that he can start sleeping in the other rooms with my mom once she comes, I can't believe my baby won't be sleeping in my room any more, it's really bittersweet, u know what, just bitter!!!!!
Anyways, can't wait to c pics, momma u r almost there, only 14 weeks left yaay

Lalla said...

Yorlee's reaction is adorable. Ariana loves Dora also. We just bought her Dora sunglasses and a Dora umbrella. She cries when she doesn't have that umbrella; she even wants to sleep with it.