Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A letter to my daughter.

(reposted due to Blogger acting up)

Dear Yoree Belle,

You are currently four months old and have so much personality!  I look at you, and I feel like all of my dreams came true.  The day you were born will forever be etched in my mind and heart.  It was so great to finally put a face to the name.  To finally meet you, and introduce you to all the love and support that you have.  So many people love you, and so many more will come to love you in your lifetime.

I feel like I've always known you.  Probably because we're so much alike.  I love it when you look at something and are trying to understand what it is and how it works.  You forrow your brows, focus, and stare.  Your smile makes my heart sing, and can bring happy tears to my eyes.  I love your toes, because those, my dear, you inherited from your Daddy.  You have the prettiest curly head of hair, it looks as though someone carefully placed each of them on your head, delicately intertwining them so that they became a puzzle of shiny black beauty.  I also love your eyes, they are so big and bright.  They speak to me.  I can often tell what you're about to do, by the look in your eyes.  I love how they will search a room until you find me.  And how they light up when you're about to laugh.

You amaze me.  You inspire me to do better.  You show me a part of the world I forgot.  The innocence of childhood.

I want you to remember these things:

1. Love yourself wholehartedly.  Once you've mastered that, then you can fully love others.  And love is a beautiful thing.

2. Respect others.  We live in a cruel world where it is easy to do what is wrong and hard to do what is right.  Treat others with kindness, season your words with salt.  Understand that although you may face ignorant people, what matters most is how YOU handle the situation.

3. Ps 83:18.  Know God, call Him by name.  Reach out to Him and rely on Him.  He will protect you.  Follow His word, the bible.  Only then will you see the light.  Don't blame Him for everything.  Know that Satan is doing his best to turn people away from Him.  He gave His son as a ransom for us, do you really think He would try to harm us in any way?

4. Be wise.  Don't follow the crowd.  Ask questions, research answers.  Don't get swept up in the hype as so many others do.  Learn the Truth, regardless of what the situation is.

5. Appreciate what you have, instead of concentrating on what you don't have.  Many people in this world are so blinded.  Unveil yourself, see what really matters.  Don't forget about the simple things.

6. Don't forget that parents aren't perfect.  We make mistakes too, and trust me, I will make mistakes.  But just know that everything I do, every decision I make, will be with your best interest at heart.  Talk to me, tell me how you feel, and know that most likely, and one point in time, I felt the same way too.

7. Reach out to people that are older than you.  Remember that with age, comes knowledge.  When you're a teenager, don't shut out adults.  Also, speak to the elderly, they are a wealth of wisdom.  Appreciate them, and respect them.

8. Actions speak louder than words.  Always remember that.  It is easy to say something, with the intent of doing it.  But, my dear, it's the follow through that really counts.

9. Be generous.  This day and age people are so consumed with what they possess.  Don't let that make you who you are.  Give freely to others.  It doesn't have to be material.  Give your time, for it is worth more than you may realize.

10. Be happy.  Happiness can be cultivated just like a garden.  Plant the seeds, and watch it grow.  Don't let others determine if you are happy.

I love you more than words can express.  You mean the world to me.  I hope that I am able to raise you to be eloquent, articulate, modest, humble, loyal, and kind.  You truly are a blessing.

Love always,

Mommy

2 comments:

Keri Elizabeth said...

Beautiful Post <3

Jessica said...

Wow, great post! Had tears in my eyes! Also, the comment you left on my blog made me tear up too! Thank you for the kind words! Great advice as well.