If I had to pick only one thing to put on my "List of things that get on my nerves", it would have to be judgemental people. I can't stand it. And it seems like now that I'm a parent, people go out of their way to make their opinions known.
Case in point:
My husband and I mutually decided after MONTHS of pondering, to get Yorlee's ears pierced. I spoke with other parents about getting their daughters ears pierced, talked to her pediatrician, and of course Googled the heck out of it. We also talked to our family about it. Finally, on Friday, we determined that it was time. I texted one of my friends that has a daughter who is two days older than Yorlee when we were on our way to get it done, and she told me to beware because people would give us dirty looks. I didn't quite believe her. Not because she isn't trust worthy, but I honestly didn't think that people would make a fuss over earrings, that are in their child's ears.
We decided to go to Claire's (because my husband's cousin, who is a DOCTOR, recommended it, and she had her daughter's ears pierced there), and a few of my other friends went there. We went in, picked out the kit we wanted, and I took a seat with Yorlee on our lap. Oh.my.goodness!! The comments started as soon as my behind hit the seat. One lady in particular came up and said, "You aren't getting her ears pierced are you?" To which I responded, "Yes, we are." She then said, "How sad!
She wasn't the only person. A few other people made comments about how "sad" it was, and some even stopped and tried to watch with disdain written all over their faces. Thankfully the Assistant Manager of the store was there to wave them on.
For some reason, my mother decided to wait to get our (my sisters, and I) ears pierced, and I got them for the first time when I was probably about 6 or so. I can't remember the exact age, but what I CAN remember is how scared I was because I knew it was going to hurt, and how much it DID hurt, because I was thinking about it so much. Also, I ended up having to get them pierced THREE times because I kept messing with them and pulling them out. I knew that whenever I had children, if I had a daughter, I'd get hers done early so she wouldn't have to go through what I went through.
And I'm glad I did.
Yorlee did way better than I was expecting. She didn't cry very much, and she was all smiles afterwards. She lets me disinfect her ears with no problems, and looks like such a cutie pie!
For some reason Blogger isn't correctly uploading my pictures, so I'll try to post one when I get home.
(If anyone has any negative comments in regards to me choosing to get MY child's ears pierced, please keep them to yourself. Really and truly, I don't care to know.)
3 comments:
I hear you! Opinionated people are so annoying! I had a cashier tell me the other day that by helping Alexandra stand ( I was supporting her on the counter) I was going to make her bowlegged because her bones are still soft! Seriously shut up people! I'm sure Yorlee looks adorable!
Wow-- I never heard of anyone being against ear piercing! I can't wait to see how cute it looks! I'm sorry about all those ignorant meanies out there.
I've never had anything but compliments about my daughters earrings. Hers got done the day she turned 3 months old. I wish someone would!
Post a Comment