Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nursing and weaning

I'm so proud of making it to my 6 month goal of nursing Yorlee!!  When we started that first day at the hospital, I knew that I wanted to nurse her for as long as I could.  Sure, we had to supplement with formula once I started back at work, but she still receives my milk everyday.

When her dairy allergy made its presence known, I thought it would be the end of us nursing.  It was so (and still is) so hard for me to monitor my dairy intake.  But I know that she can possibly outgrow the allergy if she is able to stay away from it for awhile.

Lately, she's been more comfort nursing, instead of nursing for nourishment.  She roots like crazy in her sleep looking for me, to the point that I sometimes pick her up, nurse her until she calms down, and put her back down.

I'm thinking that it may be time to wean her.  For numerous reasons. 

1. Because I want to keep her completely dairy free, and it's hard for me to avoid hidden dairy in the food I consume.

2. She is no longer nursing for nourishment.

3. My cycle returned because I'm nursing her part time, and I really want to get on a stable method of birth control.

4.  I'm feeling like it's time for us.  I know that it's recommended to nurse until the age of two.  And honestly, I wouldn't mind that.  But commuting back and forth to work and, on top of working full time, and trying to be a good wife leaves me quite winded at the end of the day.  If I were staying at home, it would be possible.  But my milk supply has already diminished, and I really don't have a huge desire to rebuild it.

She's doing so great though!  Pulling up on everything, really trying to crawl, standing, saying "Da-da", eating Gerber puffs, etc.  I'm so proud of my little munchkin.

I'll have to do her 6 month update soon.  I can't believe she's already half a year old.  Time is flying, makes me so sad!

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Congrats on meeting your nursing goal!!

Mrs. Green said...

Wow! I cant believe it has been 6 months either!! I feel like you I was just reading your weekly pregnancy updates... like last month!! lol Time does fly - Ezaias will be 4 months on Mon... sigh! lol

Time does fly. But congrats on making it to your goal!! That is awesome! What works best for you guys IS the best for you guys! :)