Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Having a hard time...

Life with a newborn is hard.  Very hard.

I don't think I realized how much a lack of sleep could affect someone.  I'm exhausted.  Sometimes I start to feel a little resentment towards my husband because it doesn't seem as though anything changed for him.  His body didn't go through any changes, his hormones aren't all over the place, he is able to sleep ALL NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT, and he is able to get out of the house every day.

Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter more than anything in the world, and there isn't anything that I wouldn't do for her (hence me being sleep deprived), but I just needed to rant.

Every time I need a break and hand her off to my husband, he's back within 30 minutes handing her back to me because she needs to nurse.  Even if she's not hungry!  He just really doesn't know how to soothe her, and she doesn't take a pacifier, and doesn't like bottles.  I guess he gets kind of frustrated when she's whining/crying, and it feels like there isn't anything he can do.  It just seems like I can't get a real break.  I think everything is just starting to get to me.  I'm tired, and I'm emotional.

Today isn't bad.  I'm typing this as Yorlee is sleeping in her swing and I'm eating some pizza.  She slept for four hours straight last night, which was great.

I also think that the stress of thinking about whether or not we can afford for me to stay home with the baby, and the possibility of me NOT being able to stay home with her is wearing on me.  I don't want to leave my baby!!  I'm looking for a job that will allow me to maybe work part time so I can be with her.  Yes, I may be tired and need a break, but going back to work full time really isn't what I want to do.  Decisions, decisions...

7 comments:

Samantha said...

I was thinking about you this morning, wondering how you and Yorlee are doing.

I completely understand how you feel. There are nights where all he wants to do is nurse and I just cry from exhaustion. The longest stretch at night he has slept is 3hours because he wants to eat so often. He also won't take a paci and will only sit in his swing for about 3 minutes before crying. He ONLY sleeps on my or E's chest or in his bouncer... so I understand.

I know it's completely worth it and this phase will pass so hang in there and know we are there for you!

Lindsey said...

Oh, yes, the resentment! I felt the same way. I remember Adam bringing Connor to me sayig he was hungry.. I JUST nursed him! He didn't want to find his way of soothing him. His way was for me to do it.

Hang in there!

Keri Elizabeth said...

Hey hun~
You WILL get through this!!! Before long- she will be sleeping longer, you will be sleeping MORE an hubby....well-- not sure about that one!! LOL My hubby sounds just like yours!!
But just trust me- things DO get easier. I was feeling what you are feeling...at the same time you are feeling it (does that make sense?) anyways- I thought I was going down hill...but I held my breath and kept going and now??? Now- its AMAZING!!!! I'm finally to the point I can enjoy motherhood..and YOU WILL TOO!!!
Hold tough- stay strong-- You are doing AMAZING!!!
It gets easier...and its just around the corner...I promise...

Lalla said...

What you're feeling is totally NORMAL. I felt the same way at about 3 weeks and I think I wrote a post about it. The excitement of her newness has been replaced with the reality of fatigue.

But as other people have already said, you will get through this.
Right about the time she starts to smile at you and begins to sleep longer, you will begin to "forget" this period.

And your hubby is learning how to deal with a newborn just like you. As he's been so great up until now, I'm sure he will figure it out and rise to the occasion. I found that if I shared tidbits and suggestions that I learned, my hubby would begin to try them. What worked even better was to just model what I was learning; as he saw my successes, he would imitate.

Hang in there! And sleep when you can. You might even want to leave the house, if only for an hour, just so you can have some time to yourself. Or, if you're not ready for that, have family come over and watch Yorlee while you take a nap. I know... easier said than done.

tara @ the every things said...

i wish i could give more advice but from what im now realizing i had probably the easiest newborn ever.(well she is still is,just older than yours) Maybe that will jinx it & she will be this way further down the line.

But, my biggest advice is sleep when she sleeps! You can do this though! :) Hang in there!

Theodora Ofosuhima said...

I agree with Tara, sleeps when she sleeps.

You can do it and I am sure Yorlee's smiles pay for the sleepless nights ;)!

Take care.

Georgy said...

It's hard when you are breastfeeding and you're your baby's only source of nutrition. But I made my husband wake up, change Nathan's diaper and then bring him to me so I could nurse. Hey, we made this baby together and if I had to wake up, he had to wake up, lol.