Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

The return of the dairy cow

I've mentioned before that Yorlee has weaned off of nursing.  I miss it.  Maybe that is why I've been producing more milk than a dairy cow lately.  When I was going through the weaning process, I was engorged for one day and sore for a little while.  I only leaked a little bit, and it seemed like things were going back to normal.
This is that third week that I haven't nursed Yorlee, and recently, I've had to wear nursing pads again because of the amount of milk that I have.  When I take my bra off, milk starts dripping.  In the shower, drip-drip.  When I least expect it, drip-drip.  I don't get it.  Am I re-lactating?  Can my supply really increase like this?  Is it normal?  The increase of milk has made me extremely sore.  I can barely sleep because of the pain.  I don't have a fever or chills, so I'm hopeful that I don't have an infection.  If it persists, I'll be sure to see my primary care physician.

Yorlee has noticed also, maybe because she can smell the milk, but she almost gets herself into a frenzy going for my breasts.  I can be cradling her giving her a bottle and all of a sudden she'll push the bottle out of her mouth and turn towards me trying to nurse.  She had been fine for a week, but now she really wants to nurse.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Weird! I'd be interested to see what other people say... I'm not there yet (weaning), but it's good to get a heads up about this!

This Cookn' Mom said...

I am no doctor but it sounds like a case of galactorrhea. It's pretty much lactating after weaning. It's not normal, but it's not uncommon. I have heard of a lot of women who go through this even after 10+ yrs. It becomes a probably if you are constantly engorged, have extreme amounts of milk output, or have redness and warmth. I would definitely follow up with a physician to rule out possible immune or metabolic issues if it continues for 2 or more months.

Littlest True Blue said...

This is so interesting! Makes you think that lactating is such a psychological thing along with a physical thing! They always say that stress can decrease your milk supply, and it sounds like the fact you are missing the nursing is affecting it too! Hope you get the dripping under control! Breast pads are no fun..especially if you aren't nursing !